Villa Mako, Canggu
Villa Mako sets the luxury and grandeur of Dutch colonial architecture within the picturesque surroundings of a small Canggu village. This three-bedroom retreat, staffed with an experienced and friendly team of seven, is stately in design, yet warmly decorated with eclectic interiors reflecting the passions and travels of the owners. Balinese and Javanese antiques and a bold use of colour create a unique and comfortable sanctuary for guests.
The villa’s elevated position affords sweeping views over the pool, the surrounding jungle canopy and rice terraces beyond. The design of this stunning building cleverly uses natural light throughout to highlight the beautiful interiors and every room catches the cool breeze, even during the warmest months of the year, offering guests a choice of air-conditioned comfort and open-air tropical living.
The original colonial design for Villa Mako owes much to the architecture of traditional Javanese plantation houses with the high, wooden-strutted ceilings of the villa’s central hall taking their inspiration from an old college in Bandung, Central Java. The majestic design also incorporates the use of wide eaves and, combined with the elevated position of the land, this allow for beautiful breezes and a flooding of natural light.
Comfort and relaxation are the focus of Villa Mako’s plush interiors and furnishings feature oversized sofas, daybeds, poolside loungers and plenty of cushions, so guests will always find a private place for peace and quiet. In addition to the many indoor and outdoor lounge spaces, guests have the choice of three dining areas, all of which present a unique ambiance.
Set well away from Bali’s tourist areas in the tiny village of Tiying Tutul, peaceful Villa Mako sits amid the rhythms of agricultural life and gracefully honours Balinese culture. Guests are welcome at Hindu ceremonies in the nearby temple, which provide a unique insight into the religion and customs of Bali, while helpful villa staff – a dedicated team of seven, including manager and chef – will be pleased to offer guidance on temple etiquette. Guests may even be lucky enough to see a barong dance – a sacred ritual staged not for tourists but for the local community to bring good fortune to the village.
Villa Mako is approached via a private driveway with a secure car parking area. At the villa entrance guests are greeted by a pair of Chinese welcome statues guarding a set of double Balinese doors. The doors open to reveal a covered walkway with a pitched roof, which circumvents an ornamental pond complete with a bubbling water feature.
The villa comprises an open-sided fully equipped kitchen and an air-conditioned media room facing each other across the pond while, on the far side, the main building incorporates a living and dining hall and three bedrooms. Beyond the main house, a beautifully landscaped tropical garden, complete with its own serene temple, rolls down manicured lawns to a generously sized swimming pool (with shallow feature suitable for children) and a thatch-roofed dining pavilion. The garden vista flows on to the tropical jungle canopy outside the villa walls and beyond to the surrounding rice terraces creating a picture-perfect backdrop to the serenity of Villa Mako.
Each of Villa Mako’s three bedrooms presents a different and equally luxurious theme. Each has an ensuite bathroom and is equipped with air conditioning, ceiling fans, a mini-bar/fridge and safe deposit box. The two master bedrooms enjoy soaring roofs and magnificent views together with sunny balconies, furnished with daybeds, overlooking the garden and pool. Fitted with ceiling fans, the balconies are perfect for whiling away the hours with a book or relaxing over morning tea or evening cocktails.
The Bali room is furnished with a king-size four-poster bed canopied with ikat (traditional hand-woven textile). The room features polished teak floors and French windows with louvre shutters, which open out onto the terrace and balcony. Timeworn stained glass doors lead into a large dressing room with a massage bed and fitted cupboards with antique louvre doors. Another colonial-style door leads into the terrazzo bathroom, fitted with twin wash basins and a powerful overhead rain shower. A glass skylight in the roof allows the sunlight to stream in above a sunken sculptured terrazzo bathtub.
The Colonial room features a polished teak floor, French windows with louvre shutters and a king-size four-poster bed with white drapes and ‘snakeskin’ cushions. In the ensuite bathroom is an oversized sunken sculptured terrazzo bathtub, twin washbasins, a rain shower, a massage bed and ceiling fans. Glass panels in the ceiling give the bathroom an open-air feel and maximise the natural light.
The Bamboo room is accessed by double antique doors, and can be set up with two canopied beds (convertible to king-size) for younger guests or as double room. This bedroom’s ensuite cream terrazzo bathroom is fitted with twin washbasins, ceiling fans, and a rain shower. Again, in this room, glass windows in the roof maximise the natural light.
Villa Mako’s expansive main living and dining pavilion features folding doors at either end that open wide to allow the cool breezes to circulate. The soaring roof in this splendid building is 8.5-metres high and is fitted with paddle ceiling fans. Furnishings include a handsome teak dining table for 10; an attractive display of traditional Indonesian artefacts; wooden lamp-stands fashioned from Javanese statues; armchairs and a huge sofa upholstered in soothing neutral tones. A sunny stone terrace doubles the living space, making this a perfect venue for parties.
The open-plan, well-equipped feature kitchen at Villa Mako is fitted in glass and cream terrazzo. To one side is a casual breakfast area furnished with a circular marble-topped table and six brightly cushioned chairs.
In the villa’s cosy media room stretch out on the big squashy rainbow-striped sofa or kick back on the leather lay-z-boy chair. This timber-clad room has folding doors that open directly onto the pond, appearing to float above it. Guests can relax in air-conditioned comfort or open the doors wide and be cooled by ceiling fans and natural breezes. The room is equipped with a TV and DVD/CD player and the high quality sound system is linked via a portable iPod docking station to speakers throughout the villa.
A wrought iron gate heralds the stately flight of stone steps leading down to the pool through an avenue of foxtail palms. The beautiful garden then rolls down to a river located behind its boundary walls. While the delicately crafted gate is an attractive feature in itself, it separates the main house from the pool creating a safety barrier for young children.
The 18-metre mango-shaped swimming pool incorporates a large platform (15cm deep) for kids, and is filled with light salt water rather than chlorine.
Sun-seekers will relish the cushioned loungers arranged on the pool’s stone terrace, and a relaxation balé, fitted out in colourful comfort, provides a pleasant shady alternative. Opposite the balé is a barbecue pavilion with a dining table for six, a fridge, and speakers for the sound system. A convenient washroom is situated just behind.
SERVICES AND FACILITIES
- Complimentary return airport transport on arrival and on departure.
- Welcome drink and fruit basket on arrival.
- Turn down service.
- Personal service by the villa staff.
- Two security guards.
- The chef prepares daily breakfast, lunch and dinner, according to the preferences and requests of villa guests (extra cost plus handling fee).
- Arranging car and driver at a special rate of USD35++/day for 8 hours.
- Area: Private Villa.
- Pool: 18 metres swimming pool with poolside relaxation bale; Shallow pool area for kids.
- Accommodation: 2 master suites with king beds; 1 bedroom with twin beds convertible to king-size; 2 extra beds may be set up on request at additional charge; Living area; Indoor dining for 10; Breakfast table for 6; Outdoor dining for 6 at the Barbecue pavilion; Fully equipped kitchen.
- Entertainment: TV; DVD player; CD player; Sound system with iPod dock; Movies; Books; Games.
- Communication: WiFi broadband Internet access; IDD telephone; Fax.
- Family: DVDs; Books; Games; Pool toys.
- Sport: Bicycles for guest use.
- Spa: Balinese massage; Foot reflexology; Body scrub; Manicure/pedicure.
- A car and driver is available to villa guests at special rates US$35++ for 8 consecutive hours per day (exclude petrol).
- Additional Facilities: Barbecue; Safety deposit boxes; Back-up generator.
|Bedroom||Low Season||Shoulder Season||High Season||Peak Season|
|3 Bedroom Bed||$ 350 Nights||$ 400 Nights||$ 440 Nights||$ 490 Nights|
|Tax||: 15.5 %|
Terms & Conditions
Rates, Check-In and Check-Out
- Rates include Airport transfers pick up and drop off, all complimentary and using villa’s facilities.
- Rates are subject 15.5% government tax and service charge.
- Rates are quoted net in US Dollar.
- Maximum person stay in villa is 2 per room.
- Check in time is after 3 P.M. Early check in depends on villa availability.
- Check out time is 12 P.M.
- Late check out subject to availability with additional charge.
- Groceries and beverages are charged at cost price plus a negoitable handling fee which is subject to service charge and government tax.
- A Balinese silence day, "Nyepi" March 17th, 2018 from 6 a.m. until 6 a.m. the next morning, no possible to Check In and Check Out.
- Low season (minimum stay 2 nights): 08 January – 02 April (excluding CNY & Easter Week); 15 -27 April; 02 May - 15 June; 01 September - 14 December.
- Shoulder season (minimum stay 3 nights): 24 -28 March; 16 June – 30 September; 3 - 14 April; 28 April - 1 May; 16 -22 June; 19 -31 August.
- High season (minimum stay 5 nights): 03 - 07 January; CNY; Easter Week; 23 June - 18 August; 15 - 25 December.
- Peak season (minimum stay 7 nights): 26 December – 02 January.
- When the Guest makes a booking request, the Guest must make the appropriate deposit payment to BHP within 5 working days of availability confirmation. If the required deposit payment is not received within the 5 working day period, BHP reserves the right to void the Guest’s booking request. The following deposit payment applicable to most villas (see individual villa terms for full details) must be received by BHP
- For rentals beginning more than 75 days after the date of the booking request – a deposit of 20% of the total rental amount is payable
- For rentals beginning 75 days or less after the date of the booking request – the total rental amount is payable as a deposit
- Where a 20% deposit applies to the booking, the Guest must pay the remaining 80% balance not less than 75 days before the scheduled arrival date.
- If the Guest wishes to cancel a confirmed booking, written notice of cancellation must be sent to BHP. All cancellation notices received by BHP will be acknowledged in writing. It is strongly recommended that the Guest and all members of the Guest’s party purchase trip cancellation insurance.
- Cancellation of a booking includes but is not limited to: Cancellation of one or more days of a booking; An amendment of a booking so that none of the dates of the booking once amended fall within the same dates that originally constituted the booking; Failure of all Guests to provide the required documentation on arrival (eg. Passports or suitable identification); and Attempt by the Guest, their party or visitors to hold an event at the Property in breach of these Terms and Conditions or breach of any rules applicable to the Guest’s chosen Property.
- In the event that the Guest cancels a confirmed booking, the following cancellation fees will generally apply: 20% of the total rental amount will be forfeited if the cancellation is made more than 60 days before the start of the rental period; 50% of the total rental amount will be forfeited if the cancellation is made between 30 and 60 days before the start of the rental period; 100% of the total rental amount will be forfeited if the cancellation is made between 1 and 29 days before the start of the rental period.
- Shortening of stay for any reason can be considered as a cancellation and charges may apply.
- Early bird enjoys up to 15% discount when booking 150 days in advance.*
- Last minute bookings enjoy 10% discount when checking in before 12 Jan 2018.
* Does not apply for New Year period