Villa Surya Damai, Umalas
Bordering a river and the sloping rice terraces in the village of Umalas in south-west Bali, Villa Surya Damai is a serene five-bedroom holiday home of thatched roof pavilions set amidst a vast garden with an 18-metre swimming pool as its centrepiece. Designed like a Balinese family compound Villa Surya Damai is a stunning example of early Bali style, with open-sided living areas and air-conditioned ensuite bedrooms, all mod cons and a tennis court. Great for families and even better for weddings, it comes fully staffed, and is only five kilometres from Seminyak’s restaurants, nightlife and the beach.
Villa Surya Damai is a sublime introduction to Bali villa living that will embrace you in its charm and make you never want to leave. Built as a family home this delightful five-bedroom property is uniquely infused with touches of colonial elegance, high-quality interiors and furnishings and all the modern creature comforts required for the perfect tropical villa holiday. Here, classic good taste is mixed with understated simplicity and our ever-happy team of staff are further evidence that this is indeed a relaxed ‘home away from home,’ welcoming you with a warmth and informal hospitality that will melt away your stresses and tensions.
Set amongst 2,750sqm of mature, riverside gardens overflowing with tropical flora and water features, we designed the villa as a series of charming thatched buildings in the style of a traditional Balinese family compound home. At Villa Surya Damai you will find spacious bedroom pavilions with comfortably furnished private terraces and pretty ensuite garden bathrooms, encircling a welcoming, open-sided living pavilion that faces the centrepiece 18-metre pool. Sun loungers, outdoor and indoor dining areas and an additional lounge/TV room on a wide upstairs veranda, provide more than enough options for both private and social moments. Recreational facilities include three TVs and DVD players, iPod docks and a tennis court.
Beyond the enchanting gardens and across a small river lie terraces of verdant rice fields and a grassy pasture complete with grazing cows. It’s a quiet spot where days blissfully blur together. But if you do feel the urge to venture out, the villa is just a three-kilometre drive (or a 20-minute walk) from the beach, as well as lots of world-class restaurants and stylish bars in nearby Petitenget and Seminyak.
Villa Surya Damai features several alang alang thatch-roofed pavilions generously spread throughout an immaculately landscaped riverside garden. At the centre of the compound, and facing the pool, is an informal, open-sided living room. Stepping-stone pathways set in lush green lawns lead to a master suite, principal guest suite and a double-storey pavilion, containing three bedrooms and a second, veranda-style, living area. Another pavilion, overlooking the swimming pool, houses the formal dining room and adjoining kitchen. A hard tennis court rests in the far corner of the grounds.
Courtesy of their flexible, family-friendly configurations, Villa Surya Damai’s five spacious air-conditioned bedrooms can sleep up to 10 Adults + 4 Kids. All rooms are simply but very tastefully presented with top-quality teakwood furniture. For lovers of open-air living, glass sliding doors and ceiling fans allow natural breezes to flow through.
The villa’s outrageously comfortable beds boast king-coil mattresses, stacks of pillows and cushions and the finest quality bed linens. Rooms are individually colour co-ordinated and feature attractive rugs, floor cushions and thick curtains. With the exception of the second storey bedroom, ensuite bathrooms are open-air Balinese style, with terrazzo stone floors and delightful enclosed tropical gardens walled for privacy
The master suite is entered via a veranda and features wood floors, ceiling fan, a king-size four-poster bed and, at either end of the room, large carved wall decorations. Doors lead to a gorgeous open-air garden bathroom with twin washbasins and massive ceramic bathtub.
Glass sliding doors from the bedroom lead into an air-conditioned sitting room featuring satellite TV, DVD player and sound system and furnished with a sofa and small library. This, in turn, leads to a second veranda, which has a huge cushioned daybed – perfect for surveying the lawns and pool or for enjoying a relaxing massage.
Principal guest suite
Set towards the back of the compound, looking out over the delightful gardens stands the principal guest suite. It is accessed from a cosy veranda furnished with large daybed and rattan furniture. The king-size four-poster bed in this room features an antique, Javanese carved wood frame, with exquisite hand-painted headboard, while the garden bathroom is fitted with a sunken bathtub and open-air rain shower.
Guest bedrooms three and four
Side by side on the ground floor of the villa’s only double-storey pavilion are two twin-bedded guest rooms which make ideal children’s quarters for family groups. Accessed via glass sliding doors, both share similar features of sweet, colour-coordinated furnishings, low ceilings and terrazzo stone floors. These rooms are more modern and functional in style, furnished with desks and decorated with tasteful modern art. Under the twin beds are neat trundle beds, making these rooms practical for up to four guests each. Doors from both rooms lead to open-air garden bathrooms: smaller in size than those of the principle suites, but still featuring sunken bathtubs which blend seamlessly with the stone floors plus outdoor tropical rain showers.
Guest bedroom five
An open stairway to the right of bedrooms three and four leads up to a breezy veranda and Villa Surya Damai’s fifth bedroom. Overlooking the gardens and with views out to the fields and rice terraces beyond, this second-storey bedroom is more traditionally Asian in style. With its lofty ceiling, bedroom five is furnished with a romantic queen-size four-poster bed plus an antique wood wardrobe and desk. A set of aged timber doors leads to the only indoor bathroom of the house, with low ceiling, walk-in glass shower cubicle and, similar to the bedroom, cool terrazzo stone floors.
Heart and hub – literally – of the property, the open-sided living pavilion looks out over the pool, the gardens and the rice fields beyond. Two comfy sofas and a deep daybed with white cushions frame a large antique coffee table making a sociable space which is attractively and subtly lit at night, while a satellite TV, camouflaged in a wooden cabinet along with DVD player and Bose sound system offer audio-visual distraction. In tropical yet homely style, this room features terrazzo stone floors and soaring alang-alang ceiling, and is kept cool with natural breezes and ceiling fan. Understated décor includes candles, fresh orchids and traditional carved artefacts.
Dining and kitchen
In contrast to the living pavilion, the dining room is encased in glass folding doors which, when closed, project a more formal atmosphere. The room is dominated by a table crafted from a single block of aged teak wood, surrounded by 12 tall-backed cream upholstered chairs. A ceiling fan keeps the room cool and a lengthy lily pond runs alongside, featuring a water fountain and playful fish. A covered stone pathway links the dining room to a fully equipped kitchen that is amply efficient yet homely in style.
Next to the pool and shaded by large green parasols, a slatted teak table and eight chairs form a sociable outdoor dining area – marvellous for sunny breakfasts, pool-side lunches or dining under the stars.
Adjoining bedroom five, upstairs in the two-storey pavilion, a wide veranda provides an alternative living area. Sliding doors on three sides allow guests the choice of air-conditioning or a breezy fan-cooled space overlooking the entire property. Open on three sides and with high ceilings, this breezy fan-cooled space overlooks the entire property. Entertainment is provided with a satellite TV, DVD player and sound system hidden in a large wooden cabinet. Comfortable seating comes in the form of a squashy L-shaped sofa and some large floor cushions.
Gardens and pool
Villa Surya Damai’s gardens consist of gorgeously spongy lawns, edged with tropical foliage and trees, criss-crossed with stone-paved pathways and decorated with intricately carved stone wall panels. The striking 18 x 7-metre infinity-edge pool is bordered on one side by a simple grass and stone deck where cushioned sun loungers beckon. Lawns slope down from the far side of the pool to 60m of river frontage, edged with exotic palm fronds and coconut trees; the low wall encircling the gardens allows maximum views of the rice fields beyond.
Dusk is a particularly lovely time in the garden at Surya Damai. Take a dip in the pool and appreciate the peaceful rice-field views, as the fading sunlight stretches across the water, or wander the many hidden corners of the garden, which is magically illuminated at night with pretty Balinese lanterns and fire beacons.
SERVICES AND FACILITIES
- Complimentary return airport transport on arrival and on departure.
- Welcome drink upon arrival at the villa.
- Daily cleaning service.
- Daily Housekeeping.
- Security guards providing 24-hour service.
- In-house chef capable of preparing a wide variety of Western and Asian dishes. Requests accommodated (including special diets) at an extra cost plus handling fee.
- Laundry / dry cleaning service (at cost).
- Baby-sitting, in-villa massages, car and driver, and tours are available on request at an extra charge.
- Area: Private villa; 2,750 sqm (total land area); 500 sqm (villa floor size).
- Pool: Private swimming pool 18 x 7 metres.
- Accommodations: 5 air-conditioned bedroom with en-suite bathroom; Living and dining area; Living pavilion; Veranda lounge (TV room); Dining pavilion with table for 12; Poolside dining with table for 10; Fully equipped modern kitchen.
- Entertainment: 3 satellite TVs with DVD players; Library; Board games; iPod docks.
- Communication: WiFi Internet access; Telephone for local calls.
- Family: Baby cot; High chair; Pool toys.
- Sports: Tennis court; Table tennis.
|Season name||Min Stay||5 Bedroom Bed|
|Low Season||2 Nights||$ 690 Nights
Tax: 15.5 %
|Shoulder Season||3 Nights||$ 800 Nights
Tax: 15.5 %
|High Season||5 Nights||$ 920 Nights
Tax: 15.5 %
|Peak Season||7 Nights||$ 1180 Nights
Tax: 15.5 %
Terms & Conditions
Rates, Check-In and Check-Out
- Rates include Airport transfers pick up and drop off, all complimentary and using villa’s facilities.
- Rates are subject 15.5% government tax and service charge.
- Rates are quoted net in US Dollar.
- Maximum person stay in villa is 2 per room.
- Check in time is after 2 P.M. Early check in depends on villa availability.
- Check out time is 12 P.M.
- Late check out subject to availability with additional charge.
- Groceries and beverages are charged at cost price plus a negoitable handling fee which is subject to service charge and government tax.
- A Balinese silence day, "Nyepi" March 7th, 2019 from 6 a.m. until 6 a.m. the next morning, no possible to Check In and Check Out..
- Low season (minimum stay 2 nights): 05-31 January 2019; 11 Feb to 28 Mar 2019; 23 Apr to 06 Jun 2019; 20 Oct to 14 Dec; 05 Jan to 23 Jan 2020; 03 Feb to 26 Mar 2020; 20 Apr to 11 Jun 2020; 18 Oct to 14 Dec 2020.
- Shoulder season (minimum stay 3 nights): 29 Mar to 16 Apr 2019; 07 Jun to 20 Jun 2019; 25 Aug to 19 Oct 2019; 27 Mar to 07 Apr 2020; 14 Apr to 19 Apr 2020; 12 Jun to 25 Jun 2020; 23 Aug to 17 Oct.
- High season (minimum stay 5 nights): 03 - 07 January; 01 Feb to 10 Feb 2019; 17 Apr to 22 Apr 2019; 21 Jun to 24 Aug 2019; 15 Dec to 25 Dec 2019; 24 Jan to 02 Feb 2020; 08 Apr to 13 Apr 2020; 26 Jun to 22 Aug 2020; 15 Dec to 25 Dec 2020.
- Peak season (minimum stay 7 nights): 26 Dec 2019 to 04 Jan 2020.
- Early bird enjoys 15% discount when booking 150 days in advance.*
* Does not apply for New Year period