Villa Batavia, Seminyak
Villa Batavia is a fully staffed five-bedroom villa that counts Asia’s grandest heritage hotels as its strongest design influence, whilst including all the hi-tech facilities a twenty-first-century guest demands. A modern-day Somerset Maugham would delight in the generous open living spaces, antiques and artefacts, shaded verandas and breezy 24-hour butler service while relishing the Sonos sound system, iPod docks, home theatre, HD TVs and high-speed WiFi.
Two words – Raffles Hotel – conjure the romance of luxury travel in the ‘fabled east’ of the 1930s. Eighty years on, two new words – Villa Batavia – enter the lexicon of luxury travel. This stunning twenty-first century Seminyak villa– named after the pre-independence title for Jakarta – pays homage to Asia’s legendary heritage hotels such as Raffles in Singapore, Majapahit in Java, E&O in Penang and the Hotel le Royal in Cambodia.
Located within the elite Laksmana Villas estate an easy stroll from the beach and Bali’s best restaurants, bars and boutiques, Villa Batavia also accords families and groups of friends a privileged ringside seat for Seminyak’s sophisticated day-into-night scene.
Designed by acclaimed Balinese architect Putu Edi Semara to the exacting standards of its Swiss owners, Villa Batavia’s colonial architecture is evident in the whitewashed exteriors, chequerboard marble vestibules, colonnades, shaded verandas, high ceilings and tall shuttered windows. Throughout the villa, art deco furniture and prized antique pieces stand on polished teakwood floors burnished with oriental carpets. Copper bathtubs, brass fans, Tiffany lamps, rattan pieces and bevelled or stained glass panels deepen the heritage feel. And every surface is a canvas for the owner’s eclectic collection of objets trouvés– framed postcards, maps, letters, engravings and ceramics – that celebrate Indonesia’s rich heritage.
There’s an abundance of more contemporary luxuries too: Sonos music system with a comprehensive music library, Bose speakers, home theatre system, iPod docks and HD TVs in every room and WiFi in every corner.
Smartly uniformed staff – unobtrusive yet at-the-ready provide the most refined, round-the-clock butler service: no need to lift a finger (other than perhaps to ring the brass bell provided). An espresso with your morning paper in the balé? Afternoon tea on the veranda served in an heirloom tea service? Sundown cocktails stretched out on an old plantation chair? A gourmet dinner with silver-plated cutlery and the finest white bone china? A post-dinner cognac and cigar at the sea-breeze-cooled bar before retiring to four-poster comfort in your air-conditioned suite?
Day-long, Villa Batavia delivers all the privileges of five-star living yet with the level of attention and privacy you simply can’t experience in a hotel. But while there may be little call to leave, it’s reassuring to know that just beyond the villa walls are Seminyak’s famed surfers beaches and a sublime choice of world-renowned bars, restaurants, boutiques and spas.
Villa Batavia’s generous expanse of living space and elegant bedroom suites are spread over three interconnected pavilions oriented round the pool and garden. Huge teakwood entrance doors open onto the villa’s heart – a large reception room and, above, an open-sided pavilion bar and lounge. A two-level colonnade leads to a guest wing with large living and dining room on the second level and a kitchen and staff service area behind. Downstairs, two guest bedrooms open onto the pool terrace. Across the pool and linked to the reception pavilion by a covered teakwood walkway is the master pavilion with large master bedroom suite on the top level and a second master bedroom and twin guestroom opening onto the garden below.
Villa Batavia offers five large bedrooms – four with handsome four-poster beds and walk-through wardrobes (2 king and 2 queen beds), a fifth with twin beds. They feature oriental carpets scattered on polished teakwood floors, walls lined with fascinating colonial-era prints and artefacts, and shaded verandas looking over the pool and garden. Balancing the heritage-style interiors are more contemporary touches – mini-bar fridge, safe deposit box, cable TV and DVD player, and Bose iPod dock. There’s air-conditioning throughout and among other comfort-inducing features are top-range mattresses, crisp cotton bed linen, kimonos and slippers.
All the ensuite bathrooms are air-conditioned, with teakwood and non-slip acid-etched marble floors, double basins and separate privacy cubicles for shower and toilet.
The master bedroom suite occupies the entire second level of the master wing, and encompasses a large bedroom, adjoining study room, walk-through wardrobe and dressing area, and palatial ensuite bathroom with statement copper bathtub. A teakwood veranda runs the full length of the suite, with relaxation areas.
Downstairs is a second master suite with veranda opening onto the garden, and a twin bedroom with ensuite – perfect for the kids.
Two more guest bedroom suites in the guest wing offer cool, comfortable interiors enriched with handsome furniture and heritage accents (including a hand-crafted stained glass window) and a shared veranda spilling onto the poolside sun terrace.
Villa Batavia’s main living areas are on the second level, positioned for Bali’s famed sunsets, cooling sea breeze and peaceful garden vistas – with clear-day glimpses through the treetops of the island’s distant volcanoes. The principal open-plan living and dining room with the option of air-conditioning or ceiling fans, strikes the perfect balance between formal and informal entertaining space. A grand dining table beneath original Javanese chandeliers is the focus for dinner parties of up to ten guests, prepared in the fully equipped, state-of-the-art kitchen close by. Elsewhere, burnished leather sofas and chairs cluster round an antique cabinet hiding a huge flat-screen TV and surround-sound home theatre system.
A favourite area is the colonial-inspired open-sided bar and lounge on the second level of the reception pavilion – the perfect spot to retreat with a good book, enjoy an afternoon siesta or linger over sunset cocktails.
Below is the formal reception hall – an elegant space opening straight onto the swimming pool where guests are greeted with a fresh juice and frangipani garland. From here, the striking chequerboard floor of black granite and white marble tiles sweeps through the grand colonnaded corridors, according additional intimate seating areas.
By the 18-metre river-inspired swimming pool (with soft-on-skin saltwater system) are several sunbathing terraces with loungers and parasols, and a traditional balé well placed for blissful massages and romantic candle-lit dinners.
SERVICES AND FACILITIES
- Complimentary return airport transport on arrival and on departure.
- Welcome drink and fruit basket on arrival.
- Turn down service.
- The chefs are highly accomplished in the preparation of both local and international cuisine, and are responsible for all the market shopping, in accordance with the needs and the whims of their guests (extra cost plus handling fee).
- The team of butlers serve meals, snacks and beverages, take care of cleaning and tidying the villa, and help guests with concierge-style information. Butler service is round-the-clock, in four shifts.
- 24-hour security is provided.
- Providing babysitter, driver, masseuse, yoga teacher available on request at extra charge.
- Assisting to provide metered taxis, or organise day or half-day car-and-driver hire for sightseeing (additional cost with reasonable price).
- Area: 1,100sqm (land).
- Pool: 16m x 6m with children’s paddling area.
- Accomodations: 5 bedrooms: 2 master rooms with king-size beds, 1 with twins and 2 guest rooms with queen-size beds; 2 extra roll-away beds (with additional charge); Reception room; bar and lounge; Living and Dining room; Bedroom terraces; Indoor dining for 10; Garden balé with dining for 6.
- Entertainment: Satellite TVs (42-inch or 47-inch in the bedrooms); 52-inch TV home theatre in living room; DVD players; 5 iPod docks; Sonos music system with Bose speakers.
- Communication: WiFi broadband internet access; telephone for charged local and IDD calls; printer and fax.
- Spa: On request, treatments selected from a comprehensive spa menu can be carried out by professional beauty therapists in the privacy of the villa (extra costs apply).
- Events for up to 20 seated guests, or 40 for cocktails, can be held at the villa with prior notice.
- Additional facilities: Barbecue; In-room safes; full back-up generator; 6 yoga mats; 2 massage tables.
|Bedroom||Low season||Shoulder season||High season||Peak season|
|4 Bedroom Bed||$ 720 Nights||$ 860 Nights||$ 990 Nights||$ 1450 Nights|
|5 Bedroom Bed||$ 820 Nights||$ 960 Nights||$ 1090 Nights||$ 1450 Nights|
|Tax||: 15.5 %|
Terms & Conditions
Rates, Check-In and Check-Out
- Rates include Airport transfers pick up and drop off, all complimentary and using villa’s facilities.
- Rates are subject 15.5% government tax and service charge.
- Rates are quoted net in US Dollar.
- Maximum person stay in villa is 2 per room.
- Check in time is after 2 P.M. Early check in depends on villa availability.
- Check out time is 12 P.M.
- Late check out subject to availability with additional charge
- Groceries and beverages are charged at cost price plus a 20% handling fee which is subject to service charge and government tax.
- A Balinese silence day, "Nyepi" March 17th, 2018 from 6 a.m. until 6 a.m. the next morning, no possible to Check In and Check Out.
- Low season (minimum stay 2 nights): 08 January – 02 April (excluding CNY & Easter Week); 15 -27 April; 02 May - 15 June; 01 September - 14 December.
- Shoulder season (minimum stay 3 nights): 24 -28 March; 16 June – 30 September; 3 - 14 April; 28 April - 1 May; 16 -22 June; 19 -31 August.
- High season (minimum stay 5 nights): 03 - 07 January; CNY; Easter Week; 23 June - 18 August; 15 - 25 December.
- Peak season (minimum stay 7 nights): 26 December – 02 January.
- When the Guest makes a booking request, the Guest must make the appropriate deposit payment to BHP within 5 working days of availability confirmation. If the required deposit payment is not received within the 5 working day period, BHP reserves the right to void the Guest’s booking request. The following deposit payment applicable to most villas (see individual villa terms for full details) must be received by BHP
- For rentals beginning more than 75 days after the date of the booking request – a deposit of 20% of the total rental amount is payable
- For rentals beginning 75 days or less after the date of the booking request – the total rental amount is payable as a deposit
- Where a 20% deposit applies to the booking, the Guest must pay the remaining 80% balance not less than 75 days before the scheduled arrival date.
- If the Guest wishes to cancel a confirmed booking, written notice of cancellation must be sent to BHP. All cancellation notices received by BHP will be acknowledged in writing. It is strongly recommended that the Guest and all members of the Guest’s party purchase trip cancellation insurance.
- Cancellation of a booking includes but is not limited to: Cancellation of one or more days of a booking; An amendment of a booking so that none of the dates of the booking once amended fall within the same dates that originally constituted the booking; Failure of all Guests to provide the required documentation on arrival (eg. Passports or suitable identification); and Attempt by the Guest, their party or visitors to hold an event at the Property in breach of these Terms and Conditions or breach of any rules applicable to the Guest’s chosen Property.
- In the event that the Guest cancels a confirmed booking, the following cancellation fees will generally apply: 20% of the total rental amount will be forfeited if the cancellation is made more than 60 days before the start of the rental period; 50% of the total rental amount will be forfeited if the cancellation is made between 30 and 60 days before the start of the rental period; 100% of the total rental amount will be forfeited if the cancellation is made between 1 and 29 days before the start of the rental period.
- Shortening of stay for any reason can be considered as a cancellation and charges may apply.
- Early bird enjoys up to 15% discount when booking 150 days in advance.*
- Last minute bookings enjoy 10% discount when checking in before 03 Jan 2018.
* Does not apply for New Year period