The Orchard House, Seminyak
Hidden down a small laneway in the heart of bustling Seminyak lies one of Bali’s best kept secrets, The Orchard House. This charming four-bedroom villa, with an additional bedroom that sleeps four children, has a large mature garden and beckons guests with open arms.
Designed by Bali’s leading stylists, Charles and Luli Orchard, this family holiday home is an eclectic mix of Asian and Western flavours, resulting in a sublime tropical oasis in the midst of the urban jungle. Breathtakingly quiet, yet only a short stroll from some of the islands finest restaurants, spas, boutiques and bars, The Orchard House is the perfect choice for those seeking a secluded hideaway but one that’s within easy reach of Bali’s best shopping and nightlife.
Located in downtown Seminyak, The Orchard House is an elegant four-bedroom character home set amongst stunning tropical gardens. Unique in appearance and style, this delightful residence can best be described as “British India meets Out of Africa”, lovingly created by the villa’s owners, Luli and Charles Orchard, renowned in Bali for high-end furniture design.
Having been the family home for the past 12 years, the villa overflows with exotic furnishings and artefacts. Hundreds of paintings, sketches, photographs and prints by famous artists adorn the walls, while antique rugs, ceramic vases and vintage fabrics inject a unique sense of style.
Sympathetic to its surrounds, traditional Balinese materials have been used in harmony with the environment and tropical climate. High vaulted ceilings topped with ironwood shingle and alang-alang thatched roofs, and hard wood floors keep the villa cool, while French-style windows beautifully capture the natural light.
The expansive garden with its mature trees, large lawn, 13-metre swimming pool (with optional pool fence) and poolside balé adds to the villa’s beauty to create a sense of space in an urban neighbourhood bustling with activity. Just 100 metres from the villa’s door guests find themselves on Jalan Seminyak, home to some of the island’s best restaurants, spas, boutiques, bars and galleries.
However for those who’d rather stay in and enjoy the quiet, The Orchard House offers a multitude of living spaces and comes with a team of dedicated staff, including a highly-skilled in-house chef. The villa is particularly child friendly too, with an additional bedroom that sleeps four children and an abundance of facilities to keep even the most energetic youngsters entertained.
At the end of a small laneway a traditional Balinese door opens to reveal a magical urban oasis. A stone path meanders through tropical gardens consisting of lush lawns, tall trees, flowering plants and a 13-metre swimming pool, to the main two-storey house with its ironwood shingle and alang-alang thatched roof.
The front doors open to an inviting entrance hall which sets the scene for the whole villa. Beautiful artwork adorns the walls and polished wooden floors gleam in the sunlight that beams through the open French-style shuttered windows.
A staircase off the entrance hall leads up to the master bedroom and children’s bedroom, where another set of steps climbs to a rooftop library with delightful views across the garden and surrounding neighbourhood.
Downstairs rests the media room, two guest bedrooms, kitchen, breakfast nook, open-plan living and dining room, and large sitting room called the Big room.
A cute one-bedroom garden bungalow lies across the lawn directly opposite the main house.
Guests at The Orchard House are spoilt for choice when it comes to indoor living spaces. The villa has been decorated by the owners, with each piece of furniture designed to create a comfortable and relaxing atmosphere with old world charm. The artwork and antiques have been collected from worldwide travels including Morocco, Turkey, Africa, South-east Asia and India. Most of the paintings are by famous Balinese artists with the odd Picasso or John Lennon print and Burmese masterpiece scattered in between.
Guests are greeted at The Orchard House in the open-plan living and dining room, where they can recline on soft, comfortable sofas with a welcome drink while admiring the detail that has gone into making this home so special. The dining area, with its circular table for six, curves out towards the garden with bi-fold doors and windows opening onto the tropical surrounds. A writing desk with desktop computer and printer/scanner sits under a bay window.
A step down from the living and dining room is the fan-cooled Big Room, with vaulted ceilings under a thatched roof. Rich oriental carpets add colour to the dark hardwood floors and pastel walls, while vases of silk English roses add to the country cottage feel. Floor-to-ceiling bookcases line one wall, while paintings, drawings, photographs, prints and artefacts line the other. Plump sofas with soft cushions surround a huge coffee table laden with books (some published by the owner), and an antique cabinet hides a satellite TV with DVD player and Bose iPod dock for entertainment. A round dining table for four is just the spot for high tea. French doors open out onto the gardens and a patio furnished with an eight-seater dining shaded by umbrellas.
Adjoining the living and dining room is the villa’s fully equipped galley-style kitchen fitted out with black granite worktops, teak cupboards, an impressive china cabinet, a great selection of cookbooks and all the latest appliances. Guests can sip their tea in the breakfast nook decked out with pink and white check cushions.
The air-conditioned media room can be accessed from the entrance hall, kitchen and garden. A pastel blue chaise sofa compliments the hand-painted white cement tiles, turquoise cupboards with stained-glass windows and pink-striped curtains. Here guests can enjoy a movie on the large flat-screen satellite TV with DVD player. Equipped with Karaoke machine and numerous toys – even a dining table with vinyl tablecloth for messy eaters – this room doubles admirably as a children’s playroom.
On the top floor of the main house is the air-conditioned library. Furnished with two leather armchairs, a wooden desk and a large daybed, this room offers the best views in the house. A small balcony furnished with a wicker chair is strategically placed to catch the sun’s rays.
One of the highlights of The Orchard House is its stunning garden with swaying coconut palms, towering trees and exotic blooms. A rare luxury for a Seminyak villa, this beautiful home boasts large lawns big enough for a game of soccer, badminton or croquet.
While the children are kept well entertained playing in the tree house, on the swings and in the 13-metre swimming pool which has a special shallow section, adults can lie back on the sun loungers and daybed or take refuge in the poolside balé.
Near the pool is a shaded outdoor dining area (seats ten) which makes an idyllic setting for a barbecue on a balmy night. By the main entrance lies a lily pond with an elephant water feature that creates a soothing background ambiance.
The spacious air-conditioned master bedroom with its white wooden ceiling, hardwood floors, ensuite bathroom, king-size bed and library sitting area is the perfect place for those who wish to unwind and relax while taking in the garden views. The room is also equipped with a ceiling fan and small satellite TV and DVD player.
The air-conditioned ensuite bathroom consists of two areas: a dressing room with wooden floors and antique carpets underfoot, plentiful cupboard space and two white basins set in a grey marble vanity; and a light and airy Palimanan bathing area with rain shower and tub looking out across the vivid green foliage.
This room is ideal for parents who like to have their children close at hand as the children’s room is accessed directly off the master suite’s dressing area.
The children’s bedroom is divided by a wooden doorway into two separate air-conditioned spaces. The first area is fitted out with a white bunk bed, bright pink furnishings, shelves, cupboards and play space, while an annex features two single beds with white and turquoise furnishings (suitable for children or teenagers).
Accessed via the media room or garden veranda, the connecting downstairs guest rooms, which are cooled by both air conditioning and ceiling fans, feature green and white hand-painted cement tiles from one of Bali’s most famous artistic villages, Sidemen.
The larger room is furnished with a four-poster king-size bed draped in mosquito netting, a floral patterned sofa, watercolours and a scattering of antiques. Curtained doors lead to the twin guest room (converts to double bed) which has its own garden access through bi-fold doors.
Both rooms share a rustic ensuite bathroom featuring a terrazzo bathtub and handheld shower, small settee, twin basins set in a beige marble vanity and a large whitewashed teak cupboard for storing clothes. As well as opening onto the garden, the bathroom has a clear glass ceiling above the tub to give the effect of bathing under the stars.
These two guest rooms are ideally set up for a family with young children.
Across the garden from the two guest rooms stands the air-conditioned garden bungalow – discreetly located for those craving extra privacy. Featuring a high vaulted ceiling and alang-alang thatched roof, terracotta-tiled patio with reading chairs, a king-size four-poster bed with mosquito netting, sofa adorned with green and white striped cushions and an antique writing desk, this little house oozes character. Traditional Balinese doors lead to an ensuite with a terrazzo tub and handheld shower and twin basins set in a teak vanity. The bathroom also opens onto the garden – the perfect place for taking a relaxing bath.
SERVICES AND FACILITIES
- Complimentary return airport transport on arrival and on departure.
- Welcome drink and fruit basket upon arrival at the villa.
- Free mineral drinking water for the duration of stay.
- Shopping groceries serving by villa staff for in-villa dining. Meals preparation at your own villa by our in-house chef or by order - in house menu or menu order selection is available at the villa. Western, Asian, vegetarian and children’s menu. Requests accommodated including special diets (extra cost plus handling fee).
- Serviced daily including housekeeping.
- A guard provides night-time security from 7pm to 7am.
- Laundry / dry cleaning service (at cost).
- Baby-sitting, in-villa massages, car and driver are available on request at an extra charge.
- Area: Private villa.
- Pool: 13m private swimming pool (pool fence available).
- Accommodations: One unit 4 bedrooms villa; All rooms are equipped with air conditioning; accommodate 8 adults, 4 kids (3 king-bedded rooms; 1 bunk bed and 1 twin bed convertible to double plus a small annex to the Master room is fitted with 2 single beds suitable for children). Extra beds may be set up on guest request at additional charge.
- Entertainment: Satellite TV and DVD players; CD player; Bose iPod dock; Xbox; Wii.
- Communication: WiFi and ADSL internet access; landline for local calls and IDD; mobile phone coverage; desktop computer and printer/scanner.
- Family: 1 high chair; 2 baby cots; Bottle steriliser; Pool fence.
- Sport: Table tennis table.
- Additional facilities: Safes; Barbecue; Backup generator.
|Bedroom||Low season||Shoulder season||High season||Peak season|
|4 Bedroom Bed||$ 780 Nights||$ 1030 Nights||$ 1280 Nights||$ 1420 Nights|
|Tax||: 15.5 %|
Terms & Conditions
Rates, Check-In and Check-Out
- Rates include Airport transfers pick up and drop off, all complimentary and using villa’s facilities.
- Rates are subject to 15.5% government tax and service charge.
- Rates are quoted in US Dollar.
- Maximum person stay in villa is 2 persons per room.
- Check in time is at 3 P.M.
- Check out time is at 12 Noon.
- Late check out until 18:00 is charged 50% from 1 night rental rate and after 18:00 consider a full night charged.
- Early check in and late check out are subject to space availability and prior notification is required.
- A Balinese silence day, "Nyepi" March 17th, 2018 from 6 a.m. until 6 a.m. the next morning, no possible to Check In and Check Out.
- Low season: 01 Sep to 15 Dec 2017, 08 Jan to 14 Feb 22 Feb to 23 Mar 15 Apr to 27 Apr 02 May to 15 Jun 01 Sep to 14 Dec 2018, 06 Jan to 01 Feb 11 Feb to 04 Apr 22 Apr to 14 Jun 01 Sep to 14 Dec 2019
- Shoulder season: 21 Aug to 31 Aug 2017, 24 Mar to 28 Mar 03 Apr to 14 Apr 28 Apr to 01 May 16 Jun to 22 Jun 19 Aug to 31 Aug 2018, 05 Apr to 16 Apr 15 Jun to 21 Jun 18 Aug to 31 Aug 2019
- High season: 16 Dec to 25 Dec 2017, 03 Jan to 07 Jan 15 Feb to 21 Feb 29 Mar to 02 Apr 23 Jun to 18 Aug 15 Dec to 25 Dec 2018, 02 Feb to 10 Feb 17 Apr to 21 Apr 22 Jun to 17 Aug 15 Dec to 25 Dec 2019
- Peak season: 26 Dec to 02 Jan 2018, 26 Dec to 05 Jan 2019, 26 Dec to 04 Jan 2020
- Early bird enjoys up to 15% discount when booking 150 days in advance.*
- Last minute bookings enjoy 10% discount when checking in before 06 Jan 2018.
* Does not apply for New Year period